Inishtrahull (Irish: Inis Trá Tholl, meaning "island of the hollow/empty beach") or 'Inis Trá Thuathail' as used in County Donegal by speakers of Ulster Irish, meaning 'Island with the beach on the opposite or contrary side' as is clear when compared to other islands on the Irish coast, where the landing place always faces the mainland, is the most northerly island of Ireland. It has an area of 0.34 square kilometres (0.13 sq mi) and lies about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) north-east of Malin Head, County Donegal. The most northerly landfall of Ireland, the Tor Beg rock, is another one kilometer to the north. Inishtrahull is home to Ireland's northernmost lighthouse. The island had a resident community until 1929 and the lighthouse was manned until 1987. Today it is uninhabited and has been designated a protected area due to its wildlife.