Rangpur (Bengali: রংপুর, romanized: Rongpur, lit. 'City of Colour') is one of the major cities in Bangladesh and Rangpur Division. Rangpur was declared a district headquarters on 16 December 1769, and established as a municipality in 1869, making it one of the oldest municipalities in Bangladesh. The municipal office building was erected in 1892 under the precedence Raja Janaki Ballav Sen. Chairman of the municipality. During the period of 1890, Shyamasundari canal was excavated for improvement of the town. Sharfuddin Ahmed Jhantu was 1st Mayor of Rangpur City Corporation.